1. Where can I find information on deeds?
The deed information is all located on the website. Go under the County Clerk link and click on the Online Document Imaging link. Or just click this link. The Online Document Imaging is the place where you will find a lot of information pertaining to marriage, lien, deed etc..
2. How can I obtain a marriage license for people married in the past?
The Marriage information is also online for as far back as 1960. Go under the County Clerk link and click on the Online Document Imaging link. Or just click this link. The Courthouse has the records on file back to 1801, but these records are not online. Please contact the Marriage License office for these records by clicking here.
3. What do I need to get a Marriage License?
Everything you need for a marriage license is online at Marriage.
4. Is there a 3 day waiting period on all marriages?
This waiting period is only if you are under the age of 18.
5. Where do I pay my taxes or obtain registration?
The tax offices are now located in the former Towne Square Building now known as the Judge Black Annex Building. When you walk into the main street entrance (across from Blennerhassett Hotel) the sheriff tax is on the left and the assessor tax is on the right.
6. How do I obtain a birth certificate?
Come into room 201 of the Courthouse (located at the corner of Market and 3rd st.) with a valid ID and fill out the form. There is a $5 fee for certified copies of birth certificates.
7. Can I get a birth certificate through the mail? (out of state people)
Yes you need a request letter and the $5 fee (check or money order) and mail it to:
Wood County Clerk, P.O. Box 1474, Parkersburg, WV 26101
8. Can I obtain a Birth Certificate for a friend?
No. You must be an family member, ex. brother, sister, step-parent, grandparent
9. Can I make a park or shelter reservation online?
No. The online calendar just shows the available dates for the shelters and parks along with the days that they are booked. To make a reservation please call (304) 424-1976.
10. How can obtain a copy of my tax receipts.
Go to the Assessor Homepage and contact the office that you need the reciept from. They will bring up the file and either mail them out to you, or you can come to the Assessor's Office in the Judge Donald Black Courthouse Annex (old TownSquare).
11. Why didn't I get a receipt in the mail from the Sheriff Tax Office?
If you mail in your payment, you must send an envelope with a stamp and your return address.
12. Why do you charge an extra $1 for license renewal?
13. Where do I change my address on my taxes?
All Changes are made at the Assessor's office located in the Judge Black Courthouse Annex (old TownSquare).
14. Why didn't I get a bill for my Personal Property?
You must fill out an assessment card EVERY year and turn it back in to recieve a bill. This is how you will pay halves.
15. Do you take Debit or Credit Cards?
Currently we do not, but it is something that is in the process of becoming available.
16. Can I renew my registration and license at the Sheriff Tax Office?
Yes, if you have a renewal form from Charleston that is not more than 3 months expired, and have your insurance information filled out on the back.
17. In Sheriff Tax Office who do I make checks out to?
Sheriff of Wood Co.
18. How can I obtain Dog Tags?
How to obtain dog tags: You can do it through the mail, through filing online (if you file your personal property online) or by coming to our office or the humane society.
Cost: $3.00 if you live outside city limits (country districts) or in the city of Parkersburg. $6.00 if you live in Williamstown or Vienna.
If you choose to do it through the mail we need your name, address, and phone number. We need the age, breed, color, and sex of the dog, along with a check or money order for the correct amount of money.
We do not send change through the mail. If it is the incorrect amount, you will get your check back and a note asking for the correct amount. If you do not send money with the information, you will receive a 10 day notice to pay the amount and you will not receive your dog tags until it is paid in full.
19. How do I pay my taxes and what do I need?
You can pay your taxes either by mailing it in or stoping by the office.
If mailing it in please send check or money order to
PO BOX 1985
PARKERSBURG, WV 26101
CHECKS PAYABLE TO - SHERIFF OF WOOD COUNTY
If you are stopping into the office it is located at
JUDGE BLACK ANNEX
319 MARKET ST.
PARKERSBURG, WV 26101
Drive through is open during the regular work hours and is located off of 4th street, turn right into the alley, you will see signs.
You will need to supply a tax ticket to pay either way.
Free Validated Parking is available for 1 hour for persons dealing with taxes. It is located between the Blennerhassett Hotel and the new Produce Tent. Bring your ticket to be validated.
20. How to get License Renewal?
Go to the tax office and have a personal property tax reciept, 3-part renewal form, and current insurance card.
21. How to obtain Certified Copies of Documents.
There are four ways to obtain certified copies of documents if you are eligible to receive the record. The record must be your own or you must be an immediate family member.
The Wood County Courthouse is located at the corner of 3rd and Market Streets in Parkersburg. Deeds and Liens are located on the 1st floor. Birth, Death and Probate records are located on the 2nd floor in Room 201. Marriages, Voter Registration and Finance are located on the 4th floor.
Certified copies of marriage, birth and death certificates are $5.00 each. Copies of other documents are $1.50 for the first two pages and $1.00 for each additional page after that.
- If you come to the office, you will need identification to obtain certified copies of records.
- You may mail a request letter or the attached form to: Jamie Six, Wood County Clerk, PO Box 1474, Parkersburg, WV 26102. Click here for form.
- You can order online through www.officialpayments.com. There is an additional fee of $3.95 per order. After clicking the above link, select Local Payments, select West Virginia, Payment entity: Wood County-Clerk, Payment Type: select the certificate requested. The amount is $5.00 per certificate. Complete the next form with required information. Official Payments emails the County Clerk's Office every morning, and the certificates are mailed the day the request is made.
- You can request digitally certified documents through a service called Clerk ePass at www.clerkepass.com. The fees are outlined on their web page. After completing the requirements on the Clerk ePass website, they will email our office for the document. We will send them a copy of the document on a secure website. They digitally certify the document and make it available to you based upon your request. Turnaround time depends on availability of staff.